Responsive Advertisement

Thursday 23 February 2017

The Poem My Song By Kofi Anyidoho

The Poem My Song By Kofi Anyidoho


Brief Analysis Of My Song By Kofi Anyidoho




To analyze this poem of Kofi Anyidoho, one must examine the origin of the poet. Kofi Anyidoho is a well known African writer with many poetry awards to his efforts. Kofi Anyidoho hails from Ghana born 25th July 1947; Anyidoho is currently a professor of literature at University of Ghana.



With the use of parables, repetition and adages, one can easily claim the poem reflects oral African poetic flavor; it is truly a song as said by the title.



With the simple and straightforward expression of the poet, one can simply say that "My Song" by Kofi Anyidoho has a very simple diction which any reader can relate. With eleven stanzas accommodating lines carved with irregular rhymes and rhythms, the mind of the poet became well broadcasted.



The poet believes in his craft even when there are no obvious success. He believes that bending to blend well with ones talent is worth the sacrifice; worth more than flashy short-term success. He ascertained that people are so myopic and trendy to the level that success has a certain shape but whatever fails to take such shape becomes a victim of mockery. According to the words of the poet, "The gifts that bestows at birth/ Some had some splendid things/ What was mine?/ I sing. They laugh./ Still I sell My Song/ for those with ears to buy" not everybody will accept or appreciate what we do but that should not weigh down the motivation of the doer.



The poem ends in refrains:
" My cloth is torn, I know
But I shall learn to wear it well



My voice is hoarse, I know
But I shall learn to wear it well."
The above parallel refrain is another way of saying that whatever outward appearance portrayed doesn’t matter in as much as its propelled towards the maximization of talent.





SUMMARY OF THE POEM
Title:- My Song
Author:- Kofi Anyidoho
Versification:- Irregular verse
Number of stanzas:- Eleven
Category: – Life and Ambition
Point of View:- First person
(the poet’s personal opinion)
Major theme:- Living by passion
Major device:- Repetition
Diction:- Very simple to comprehend
Most used word:- The pronoun "I"








No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Post

Ads

SoraBook

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Vestibulum rhoncus vehicula tortor, vel cursus elit. Donec nec nisl felis. Pellentesque ultrices sem sit amet eros interdum, id elementum nisi ermentum.Vestibulum rhoncus vehicula tortor, vel cursus elit. Donec nec nisl felis. Pellentesque ultrices sem sit amet eros interdum, id elementum nisi fermentum.




Comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *